Saturday, January 22, 2011

Holidays~

I just completed five days of Latin Summer School at Sydney Uni, and now I have the holidays once again. It's only one week before the start of school but every day counts. =D

LSS was... entertaining. Did I learn stuff? Um, no. I was too busy going 'Eh? What does this word mean? Ohh, okay, so that's Gerundive. Right. A subjunctive? How the hell do I recognise a subjunctive?!' and of course the most thought of thought: 'Oh. My. Gosh. I FEEL SO STUPID!!!'

Yup. It's like every single bloody person (other than the ones who were with me) knew about everything the two teachers were talking about...

Then again. Like I said, it was interesting. I believe we used the word 'spawned' far too many times to be acceptable, and I'm sure that the classes VIVIFIED us... (Mmhm, that's another one of our 'class jokes'). But ahh, there's one interesting thing we did. Three of our texts to translate were from the 'Ars Amatoria' which is basically 'Love for Dummies' written by an old Roman man back when Latin was still spoken.

It's amusing how he goes on about how 'the good fisherman knows where all the fish swim' and 'the good hunter knows where the deers eat', which reminds me of Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night' (or is it Knight? I studied it in Yr 8 and I STILL don't know which one it is...) and his puns with 'hart'. But anyway...

Yeah, I think I've made this post too intellectual to be interesting...

In other news! Have you been watching the Australian Open recently? Right now, I am watching the Nadal vs. Tomic match. Tomic is actually holding up really well... I don't think he can win though... Oh how wonderful it would be, having an Aussie underdog beating the No. 1 player.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment